Monday, January 25, 2010

Wiley High School


In 1967 , my mom graduated from Wiley High School. Do you recognize this building? Have you ever seen it around town? The answer is no you have not. A few years after my mom graduated, her high school was torn down and replaced with the Vigo County Public Library. When I was little, my mom told me stories about going to school and walking to McDonalds across the street for lunch. She also used to walk to O'Days restaurant for lunch. From the way Mom described it, O'Days would remind me of the restaurant in the movie Greece. It had booths, juke boxes, and milkshakes. The Goody Shop was another restaurant she went to during lunch, which is now the Ohio Building. This place was more like a cafeteria. It would remind me of MCL. The Waffle House was also in downtown Terre Haute. This was a nice place for students to go during lunch because they could get a big lunch for only a $1 or $2. Now, none of that exists. While the Vigo County Public Library is very nice, it is disappointing to see all of my mom's memories from high school be only that, a memory. The only remains from Wiley High School is the top of the school's building which is located in front of the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment